[quassel-announce] Quassel 0.12.3 released

Manuel Nickschas sputnick at quassel-irc.org
Wed Feb 10 22:09:50 CET 2016

Hi all,

it's been a while that we did a new release, and it's still "just" a bugfix
release this time. Turns out that real life is still keeping us busy... but
it's the good kind of busy, so there's that. Thankfully, we have a bunch of
cool people in the community who contribute patches, fixes and features while
the core development team is on semi-hiatus -- many thanks to all of you!

Anyway, say hello to Quassel 0.12.3. Many fixes went into that one, and we
encourage you to upgrade! One particularly nasty bug was fixed: if you have
multiple users on a single Quassel Core, and use PostgresQL as a database
backend, messages could be lost in earlier 0.12.x versions. So if you happen
to run 0.12.{0..2}, and run a core for multiple users, you definitely should
upgrade. A more extensive list of fixes can be found in the ChangeLog.

A short heads-up: The next feature release (0.13.x) will be the last one still
supporting Qt 4 and, consequently, KDE 4. Supporting two diverging frameworks
(Qt 4 and Qt 5), and two rather different desktop environments (KDE 4 and
Plasma 5), proves to be increasingly challenging. Additionally, Qt 4 has
officially reached end-of-life by now. So once 0.13 is released, we'll take the
opportunity to clean up the codebase and remove a few hundred #ifdefs,
wrappers and workarounds! This is still a few months away, and we plan to add
a long-desired feature or two to the next release -- but now you know and can
prepare for life after Qt 4!

That's it for today. Please head to the downloads page to grab the new source
tarball:

<http://quassel-irc.org/downloads>
<http://quassel-irc.org/pub/quassel-0.12.3.tar.bz2>

Binary packages for the various platforms will show up there over the next few
days, and if you run Linux, I'm sure your friendly package maintainer is
already working on getting an updated package near you soon!

Have a nice one!
~ Sput
--
Manuel "Sputnick" Nickschas ("Sput" on Freenode)                  |  (o<
Member of the Quassel IRC Project - http://quassel-irc.org        |  //\